Resources on Legal Responsibilities
for Rental Property Owners
Laws that Govern the Rental Relationship
- Code of Massachusetts Regulations: http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/index.html.
- Massachusetts General Laws: http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/mgl.html or www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/mgllink.
- Massachusetts State Sanitary Code: www.sec.state.ma.us/cis. Click “Safe and Sanitary Housing” on Citizen’s Information Services web page.
- Massachusetts Trial Court Libraries: www.lawlib.state.us. Under laws by subject, click “Landlord/Tenant” for a directory of information including pages on rights and responsibilities for both landlords and tenants.
- "Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In," 2nd Ed., R. Fisher, W. Ury & B. Patton, Penguin Books, 1991. A guide to successful dispute resolution.
- Legal Tactics: Tenants’ Rights in Massachusetts, 6th Ed., A.R. Duke (Ed.), 2005, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, Boston, 99 Chuancy Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02111-1703. This has been the basic reference for tenants and tenant advocates since 1971. Easy to read; forms and citations of relevant laws included.
- Property Management for Massachusetts Rental Owners, 5th Ed., H.J. Fisher, 2005, HAP Inc., 322 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01105. (413) 233-1500. This has been the basic reference for rental property owners and managers for 30+ years. Easy to read; forms (in hard copy and on CD) and citations of relevant laws included.
- "The Successful Landlord," Mass. Rental Housing Association, 278 Washington Street, # 341, Boston, MA 02108-4610. A guide for landlords.
Websites Links and Telephone Numbers
- A Consumer Guide to Landlord Rights & Responsibilities www.mass.gov/eoca/docs/landlordrights.pdf
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Program: (800) 532-9571 (Boston office); (413) 586-7525 (Northampton office); www.mass.gov/dph/clppp.
- Fair Housing Information Program: (413) 539-9796; (413) 233-1609.
- Housing Discrimination Project, see Massachusetts Fair Housing Center.
- HUD, see U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Information on Water and Sewer Submetering: www.mass.gov/dep/brp/dws/files/itm/submeter.
- Massachusetts Law Reform Institute (tenant advocacy and information): www.mlri.org (general) or www.masslegalhelp.org (for legal information).
- Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation: www.mass.gov/Eoca.
- Regional Housing Network of Massachusetts (association of regional providers of housing subsidies and other services): www.masshousinginfo.org.
- Massachusetts Rental Housing Association (landlords association): www.massrha.com.
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development: www.hud.gov.